Student enrollment options
All students must have a user ID. Students can create at user ID on their own by clicking the login link on the ctYOU.org home page. Since the server users email to authenticate user IDs, students must first have a valid email address. If students do not have an email address, they may set up an email account for free using a service such as Gmail.com.
Enrollment options include teacher manual enrollment, student self-enrollment, and server administrator bulk enrollment.
Teacher Manual Enrollment
After students have created and confirmed their user ID, instructors can manually their students.
- In the course site under Course Administration, click Users > Enrolled Users.
- On the Enrolled Users page, click the Enroll Users button.
- In the Enroll Users box that appears, in the Assign Roles field, make sure the word "Student" appears.
- In the Search box on the Unroll Users box, type in the first student's name, and then click the Enroll button next to the students' name.
- Type the second students' name in the search box, and then click the Enroll button next to the students' name. Continue this process until all students are enrolled.
- When finished enrolling all students, click the Finish Enrolling Students butt on at the bottom of the box.
- All students should now appear on the Enrolled Users page.
- To return to your course site, click the link in the breadcrumb navigation.
Student Self-Enrollment Using a Course Key
Students can set an enrollment key for their course. After students have created and confirmed their user ID, students can then self-enroll in a course using the course key.
- In the course site under Course Administration, click Users > Enrollment Methods.
- On the Enrollment Methods page, next to the Self Enrollment (Student) option, click the "eye" icon to show and enable the self-enrollment option.
- Next to the Self Enrollment (Student) option, click the "gear" icon to set up the self-enrollment option.
- In the Enrollment Key field, type in the enrollment key you would like to use. Consider using a term that would be easy to type, but difficult to guess at random. For example, for a FACS course, you could use a term such as "cooking-2017." There are no special character requirements for enrollment keys.
- Be sure the Default Assigned Role is set to "Student."
- If you want to limit the number of students in your course, type in the number in the Max Enrolled Users field. Leave the number at 0 to allow unlimited enrollment.
- If you do not want the server to send automatically send enrollment confirmation, uncheck to box next to Send Course Welcome Message. Otherwise, leave the box checked.
- Click the Save Changes box at the bottom of the page.
- Be sure to give the enrollment key to your students. Students will need to navigate to the link for the course, and type in the enrollment key in the box that appears.
IMPORTANT: Setting the enrollment duration unenrolls students after a certain time, which also removes their names and grades from the grade book.
Server Administrator Bulk Enrollment
If the process of setting up a user ID and enrolling in a course appears too challenging for your students, contact us and we can create user IDs and bulk enroll students in your course.